Thursday, October 1, 2009

END OF Q3

Here we are at the end of Q3 and what a wacky day it was! We sold off early, then it reversed and looked as though we were going to explode to the upside. I was getting ready to jump on a number of trades when we drifted back down and closed a bit lower for the day. We were down 131 points on the DOW within the first 30 minutes. Then up 35 points by the afternoon. Then down 30 at the close. That...my friends...is a roller coaster! That type of movement in price reflects indecision and some nervousness as to what will happen next. Now I'm not big on following government reports, but the ISM number comes out tomorrow. The ISM number reflects the health of the manufacturing sector. A number above 50 would show that manufacturing is expanding. The expectation is around 54. We also have employment numbers out on Friday, but this seems to be the big focus. The market is sitting on some key near term support levels. I think the direction we move tomorrow is the direction we will move for the next several days. If it is up, I'm already to go...and you should be too with all those picks I gave you. If we break lower, I'll probably go to cash...and maybe buy a put or two on the SPY or DIA, but not any big position...yet. I will give IBM a stay of execution for one more day. They dropped below their 50 day MA during the day, but managed to move up 80 cents going into the close. IBM is 40 cents from getting back above $120...make me proud and get back on track! Gold continued its short term strength. Many of those stocks reached one of my confirmation signals.

No comments:

Post a Comment